Heidi Davoren shares the story of Jerry Retford, a man who used to abuse his wife in front of his children, and how he changed his life.
Retford explains some of the things he needed to do before he sought help;
- Accept responsibility
- Stop blaming his partner or everyone else for what’s going wrong in his life
- Focus on him only and what he was doing wrong
- Accept that violence is a choice, and that he is always in control
- Stop minimising incidences of violence by explaining it in a way that seems less horrific or violent
- Take responsibility for the fact that he didn’t know how to express his feelings and accept that he is an adult now who can find a way to learn the skills he was lacking.
Read the full article here.