In 2012, the Pixel Project started the “16 For 16” blog series, giving practical advice to support women experiencing abuse.
One of the articles provides helpful tips for both the victim of abuse and their family and friends to remain safe and show support to the victim during the festive period, a time when domestic violence tends to spike.
According to the Pixel Project, some of the factors that affect the spike in Domestic Violence over the December holidays include an increase in the following areas;
- Alcohol and drug consumption
- Family pressures and conflict
- Contact with the abuser who may be on vacation for the holiday season
Some of the tips for victims to remain safe include;
- Make sure all the important help line numbers are on speed dial including the police, the nearest shelter, a close friend who has been briefed to help.
- Choose a safe word or phrase
- Always have money and a fully charged cell phone at hand
Some tips for family and friends to help the victim and to remain safe include;
- Offer to be on standby, so that the victim can call or text at any time for help
- Get a partner to help. If ever you are called out to support the victim, always take someone with when responding.
- Aid with daily duties; picking up groceries or looking after the children for a few hours to release the victim of the strain.
These are just a few of the useful tips provided. For the full list click here.